- canola oil, to brown the oxtail
- 3lbs oxtails
- salt/pepper to taste
- 3 TBL homemade tomato concentrate
- 1 TBL ginger, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, rough chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- TBL flour
- 4 cups homemade bouillon/stock
- 1 TBL whole allspice berries
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 generous tsp of habanero paste, or 2 habanero peppers
- cooked wild rice, for serving
- season oxtails with salt & pepper
- In a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, over medium high heat, heat up the oil and brown the oxtail to your heart’s content. go for a deep color. transfer to plate, ignore.
- Into the pot add the tomato paste, ginger, onions and celery, saute until soft. add in the flour and stir until smooth. just make sure the flour’s all gone. add the oxtail in again, along with the stock, allspice, thyme and chiles. bring to a broil, then reduce heat to low, cook for about 3 hours. i may have let it go for 4 hours, until meat is tender and falling off the bone. check seasoning.
- Serve atop wild rice.